Saturday, April 24, 2010

What is the name of a children's book that has a girl who invents a language?

I read this book in 8th grade where there is a girl locked up in some sort of institution that has invented her own language. She writes journals in the institution, but writes it in her own language so the officials can't read it. There are a few other kids that have other quirks, and they all try to escape. Unfortunately, that is all I can remember, except that I think the cover is green, and it is a sort of thin book. Does anyone know the name of this book?

What is the name of a children's book that has a girl who invents a language?
Is it "Welcome to the Ark" by Stephanie S. Tolan? I've read this book before, and it has a girl like that, as well as a few other talented kids. It's not one of the most memorable books I've read, but I think this must be the book you're looking for.
Reply:"I Never Promised You a Rose Garden" by Joanne Greenberg?


http://www.amazon.com/Never-Promised-Ros...


(Deborah made up a language from her imaginary Kingdom of Yr)


"I Never Promised You a Rose Garden presents a complete picture of mental illness from the patient's point of view, without the stigma of wrongness that is frequently associated with it. The picture painted is a very real one, from Deborah's relief when the doctors confirm what she's known all along, that something is not right, to the way her family deals with the fact of her illness. Greenberg/Green evokes very strong emotions with her writing. You feel Deborah's fear that her secret world of Yr will punish her for revealing its existence to her doctor, and you share in her triumph when she begins to make her way back to the world. I put down this book with a little more understanding of how it must feel to be mentally ill. I would recommend it to anyone, teen or adult."

dendrobium

No comments:

Post a Comment